May 10, 2017
Run girls, run!
Do you know Girls on the Run of Eastern Iowa? If so, you’re lucky. If not, we’d love to introduce you.
We believe in GOTR’s mission and are thrilled to have been a sponsor of their program this past year.
Over 180 volunteer coaches work with more than 1,000 3rd – 8th grade girls from 30+ schools in Iowa City, Coralville, North Liberty, Solon, Hills, Cedar Rapids, Hiawatha, Marion, Center Point, Urbana, Fairfield, Riverside, Central City, North Linn, Williamsburg, Amana, and Independence, Iowa.
Girls spend 10 weeks preparing for a 5k while playing games and learning lessons about social, emotional, and physical health and more.
- Girls on the Run is a life-changing, non-profit program for girls in the 3rd through 8th grade.
- The 20-lesson Girls on the Run curriculum combines training for a 5K (3.1 miles) running event with lessons that inspire girls to become independent thinkers, enhance their problem solving skills and make healthy decisions.
- Meetings are held — after school — twice a week in small teams of 8-15 girls.
- GOTR teaches life skills through dynamic, conversation-based lessons and running games.
- The 20-lesson curriculum is taught by certified Girls on the Run coaches and includes three parts: understanding ourselves, valuing relationships and teamwork, and understanding how we connect with and shape the world at large.
For more information on how to volunteer, donate, or get the girls in your life involved, girlsontheruniowa.org.