Fall is here! Embrace the unbelievable warmth this November and take a weekend day to be sure your home is prepared for the inevitable cold that will come our way (someday!).
Heating & Cooling
- Clean or change your furnace filters. A smart move would also be to have a professional heating contractor come service your furnace, which includes making sure it’s operating safely.
- Make sure your furnace and air conditioner are free of surrounding debris, plants, or storage items.
- If you have a boiler, check the water level and shut off valves for leaks.
Roof & Exterior
- Take a good look at your shingles to be sure there are none that are missing or damaged.
- Clean gutters and downspouts – this is critical especially if your home is under a big tree and helps prevent water intrusion to the basement.
- Be sure trees and bushes are trimmed away from the roof and walls.
- If you have a woodburning fireplace, consider hiring a chimney sweep to clean and inspect your chimney.
- Take a close look at decks, patios, and porches to be sure they are safe and secure. Make a mental note of any spring maintenance projects you’ll want to do.
- Walk all the way around your home examining your siding for holes, chipping paint, and your caulking around protrusions to be sure it’s intact.
Doors & Windows
- Check weather stripping around doors to be sure it’s in good condition.
- Check for missing screens or broken or cracked window panes.
- Check for loose or missing glazing putty.
- Make sure all faucets, hose bibbs and supply valves are functioning properly and then appropriately prepared for winter.
- Check the main water shut off valve for ease of operation and leakage.
- If you have a lawn sprinkler, inspect it for exposed lines or leaky valves.
- Check under sinks and around tubs and toilets for signs of leaking.
- Test your GFCI outlets and circuit breakers to be sure they function properly.
- Be sure all your lamp and extension cords show no signs of wear.